Below is a short-listing of some of the common functions of the functions keys on computers running Microsoft Windows. As mentioned above not all programs support function keys and/or may perform different tasks then those mentioned below
- Almost always used as the help key, almost every program will open the help screen when this key is pressed.
- Windows Key + F1 would open the Microsoft Windows help and support center.
- Opens he Task Pane – a window with options that opens to the right in an MS Office program
- In Windows commonly used to rename a highlighted icon or file.
- Alt + Ctrl + F2 opens a new document in Microsoft Word.
- Ctrl + F2 displays the print preview window in Microsoft Word.
- Often opens a search feature for many programs including Microsoft Windows.
- Shift + F3 will change the text in Microsoft Word from upper to lower case or a capital letter at the beginning of every word.
- Open find window.
- Repeat the last action performed (Word 2000+)
- Alt + F4 will close the program currently active in Microsoft Windows.
- Ctrl + F4 will close the open window within the current active window in Microsoft Windows.
- In all modern Internet browsers pressing F5 will refresh or reload the page or document window.
- Open the find, replace, and go to window in Microsoft Word.
- Starts a slideshow in PowerPoint.
- Move the cursor to the Address bar in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
- Ctrl + Shift + F6 opens to another open Microsoft Word document.
- Commonly used to spell check and grammar check a document in Microsoft programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, etc.
- Shift + F7 runs a Thesaurus check on the word highlighted.
- Turns on Caret browsing in Mozilla Firefox.
- Function key used to enter the Windows startup menu, commonly use to get into Windows Safe Mode.
- Opens the Measurements toolbar in Quark 5.0.
- In Microsoft Windows activates the menu bar of an open application.
- Shift + F10 is the same as right-clicking on a highlighted icon, file, or Internet link.
- Full-screen mode in all modern Internet browsers.
- Open the Save as window in Microsoft Word.
- Shift + F12 save the Microsoft Word document
- Ctrl + Shift + F12 prints a document in Microsoft Word